Saturday 17 February 2007

Finally ... Claire's socks are done!


Here are Claire's very pink, funky new socks. She loves wearing skirts, but despises tights or stockings. So she wanted high socks for wearing under denim skirts! These were much easier socks to knit than the last two pairs; I ditched the Paton's Kroy yarn and used an Italian-made yarn called "Super Socks Color". It was quite inexpensive and I picked it up at our LYS, Rosehaven Farm Store. The yarn is harsher than the Kroy, but there were NO tangles within the ball and the end was easy to find (I spent at least an hour per previous pair of socks untangling the ball!) And now that the socks have been washed they are softening nicely.

Interestingly, I started both balls of yarn from the inside, laid out and began at the same point in the pattern; and the stocks are still somewhat differently patterned! The pattern on Claire's right sock is a steady spiral over the foot and up the leg; for some reason on the left sock, the spiral didn't start until up the leg and there is more of a wavy pattern on the instep and heel side. We decided that this gives the socks "homemade charm" :).

Iain is now eagerly awaiting *his* socks; we went in to town this morning and picked out red, blue, green and white-striped washable wool made by the same company. And last night Kevin strongly encouraged me to get going with them so I can make him a second pair! I have not yet made a pair for Alison, however; she would like to knit her own. Her gauge is quite loose, though, and we must find a size US 1 circular needle before she can start. It pays to purchase decent needles; the cheapie bamboo needles that I bought snap like toothpicks under stress. The size 1's are now history.

There is an upcoming knitting class at Rosehaven Farm stores for an 8-hour sweater that I REALLY want to try. I've not yet had the courage to try a sweater, and this one looks not too scary!

Happy knitting :)!



No comments: