Tuesday 16 September 2008

Claire LOVES reading and writing poetry ...

I am organizing and decluttering today, and I came across this poem. Claire wrote it when she was just 5, and I still think it is quite extraordinary. I have her original copy, with a little picture of a girl on a sailboat, and age appropriate spelling (aim instead of I'm! although now that I look at it that was her only spelling mistake).

Sailor

I'm gonna be a sailor and sail out to sea;
I'm gonna be a mother and take care of three;
I'm gonna be a zookeeper and feed wild cats;
I'm gonna be a bug catcher and catch yellow gnats;
I'm gonna be a dancer and dance across the stage;
I'm gonna have a canary and keep it in a cage;
I'm gonna be a sailor and sail out to sea;
I'm gonna be a mother and take care of three.

copyright 2002 Claire Audrey Stenhouse


I love finding gems like this, and I'm so glad I've kept some of their earlier work! Each of the children have a file in our filing cabinet where the best school work gets saved each year. This was VERY helpful for Alison's Venture application this past April.

No comments: