Sunday 7 October 2007

Rural Economies

Although Prince Edward County does have a fairly steady tourist income, family incomes are substantially less than in more urban areas. People fall in love with the county, then do what they can to survive here. I've always said that I'd rather be broke here, than rich anywhere else :).

Yesterday was a typical day in our rural economy. A couple of days earlier, a Shetland sheep breeder friend, Bill Stearman, e-mailed me to let me know that while vaccinating his ram, he had an unfortunate meeting with something sharp that required 16 stitches. Ever the busy man, he continued on, until his leg puffed up with infection and his doctor threatened to hospitalize him with an IV antibiotic. However, Bill had urgent chores, so he called me to find out if I was up for a trade.

Alison, Iain and myself headed over yesterday. We stacked a cord and a half of wood, moved 15 bags of feed, and Alison moved his 30 meat birds a new area. In return, Bill will lend us a ram for six weeks this fall (no lease required!), will arrange to transport the ram and Billie Holiday back and forth to his place, AND he sent us on our way with a magnificent $27.00 organic chicken that he raised himself.

Bartering is alive and well in rural Ontario, and I am thankful :).

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you all!

2 comments:

Lona said...

Happy Thanksgiving Day! (I know I'm late, but at least I'm here.)

My dh stuck himself while trimming hooves the first year we had sheep. He went in for stitches and ASKED for an antibiotic. When the medical professionals heard that he'd gotten the wound from a dirty pair of hoof shears, they obliged. He still has that scar on his leg.

Glad to hear that bartering is alive and well in PE county.

kkaci said...

Hi Lona!

Ouch. Tell your husband that this spring during my very first round of vaccinations I managed to prick myself with the spent needle. So I'm slightly vaccinated against cocciodiosis :).

My hubby took one look at the beautiful chicken and volunteered to go back over for more chores!

Hope everything is going well for you ... btw I visited your Etsy shop! That's going to be awesome for you.

K.