Thursday 12 July 2007

... and my career move as well :)

... which actually predates Kevin's change of employment :).

This happened so quickly, and has impacted my "free" computer time, hence the sudden downward spiral of posting quantity at this blog. I am working, and I have the perfect job (for me!)

Since June 11 I have been working for New Life Girl's Home. This actually predated Kev's news, but is even more crucial now that there will be a transition in directorship at the home. I will be working for NLGH at least until October, at which point both parties will decide if the contract should continue. I am doing various projects to support the Home's activities; projects that require high-speed internet, which we have courtesy of the Chuckery Hill tower, and which the Home does not have. I am having a blast! I have researched and made recommendations for new donor database software, which will help NLGH stop wasting time and financial resources with their old, inefficient system. I am presently researching foundations and grants for them. And at some point I will become their web site administrator! Yes sirree, I'm climbing the ladder to "geekdom" and I'm pretty thrilled about it :).

This position fits my life to a "t". I have no interest in driving in to work anywhere (gas money and wasted time); this allows me to still keep on eye on our livestock (who are growing like weeds, btw!) and allows huge flexibility, especially while the kids are home this summer. Since I am wide-eyed and bushy tailed by 5:30 a.m. ... I can get started! I also have somewhat of a larger vision ... not sure if or when it will lead anywhere, but I have a real heart for NPO's (non-profit organizations) and may eventually take this a little farther ... to make these services available to other small non-profits so their time can be spent doing ministry. Additionally, I have a vision for someday providing online work for other rural SAHM's to support their lifestyle. Maybe. We'll see.

Leading me to our other big news; the advent of the big yellow bus at the end of our driveway commencing September, 2007! Yes, the Stenhouse kids are enrolled at Sophiasburgh Central Elementary School for the fall, for a myriad of reasons. We've always taken this homeschool one thing on year at a time, and this year, it's time :). It's pretty much a God-thing, and we are all looking forward to the new adventure. We've spent quite a bit of time at the school .. they've all met their teachers (which seem hand-picked for them: truly amazing!). There will be a few wrinkles ... a couple of the kids are WAY ahead in math and language, and there may need to be some "tweaking" done to accomodate this. And on the other side ... we're a little light on French and will be doing some remedially this summer. The girls already know a few of their classmates through 4H Clubs they've been involved with, so that will make their transition easier. They also get lockers, which I think is more exciting to them than anything :).

So it will be an autumn of change, and we are truly thankful that God has provided these neat opportunities for our family!

Bye for now, and hoping to update at least occasionally over the next few months ...

No comments: