Wednesday 8 August 2007

One of my favourites songs ...

which Kevin played on UCB this morning :).

Here are the lyrics: (Lona, you'll love this song: If you go to www.debbiezepick.com, and click on "Music", then on her first album, you can hear an excerpt. I'm sure you will identify!!)

Rain Upon the Roof
©2003 Zepick Music

I am a farmer, I watch the sky
For those things that bring new life I so rely
There is no hay, there is no grain
Without the warmth, without the sun, without the rain
There are the seasons, when I confess
That I believe that you've forgotten how to bless
The sky is empty, the land is bare
And though I cry to you, it seems that you don't care

Chorus:
But you are God and I am not
You know the reasons and you do not need my words to know the seasons
Though I do not understand, I know you're not aloof
As I listen for the rain upon the roof

I am a farmer so weak and frail
Tossed about as much by doubt as wind and hail
All through the night, all through the year
You bring the harvest of my soul, peace to my fear
I am a farmer, it is my call
And I live to plant in spring, harvest in fall
But in between, I'm on my knees
Father bless the work of these hands, if you please

Chorus

The first time I heard this song I was driving the kids to swimming lessons in Belleville. It had been raining for DAYS after a prolonged dry spell and I was in a "thin" place about the dichotomy between my passions and dreams and my reality (at the time), and sensitive to some of the challenges my rural County friends were facing. Farming is just. tough. work. This song came on and within a minute I was a wreck. Debbie has a lovely voice; she lives just outside of Calgary, Alberta. They are/were a homeschool family (I believe her two children are graduated or close to) and she was raised on a farm.

1 comment:

Lona said...

Woo-hoo! Comments!

K, we had over FIVE INCHES of rain last week--more than we've had the whole summer! Everything is lush and beautiful again, and Mike has cut more hay, something we thought was impossible two weeks ago.

Thanks for thinking of me when you shared the song. And thanks for understanding about farming.