Thursday 18 December 2008

Can I recommend something for keeping last minute Christmas spending in check?

It's foolproof.

The flu.

Blech. I actually have to try to get in to the doctor because although I'm over the acute part of this illness (high fevers, body ache extraodinaire, headaches) I can't seem to shake the breathlessness and exhaustion. Plus my lungs sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies :-) ... you know, snap, crackle, POP!

I managed to do a pathetic job of washing the kitchen floor yesterday ... then had to rest for two hours. Just sad.

My farmer friend Elmer came by yesterday on farm business, took one look at me and suggested I go to the doctors because his wife had pneumonia for six weeks in October, and apparently I bear a strong resemblance to her at that time. I know I don't feel that bad (at least not in the mornings!).

The only small show of productivity in the last week? Below. I've procrastinated these socks for ages because the wool wasn't fingering weight and I wasn't sure how to knit them to the right size. Then I procrastinated even longer because the skein got tangled and I didn't have any interest in the untangling process. Last snow day, I finally took time off from normal chores, and sat and made a centre-pull ball from the skein-mess. It took something over two hours. I'm glad I did though, because in the last week, this is about all I've managed!




It's a very fun pattern to do ... it's called a right twist, and the pattern is a four row pattern. Easy enough that even in my fog I can remember it ;-). The yarn was hand-dyed by my friend Ann-Marie, and Kev saw the skein, loved it and brought it home for me to knit up. Umm ... a couple of years ago. Better late than never! Unfortunately, my correctly-sized needle is missing (along with the socks for Alison I was knitting at the time) so I'm using quite a small needle for this heavier weight wool.

No comments: