Friday 5 December 2008

Some people have point-and-shoot cameras; we have a point-and-shoot border collie.

The best thing I've done recently is to train Dickens to mouse. Two summers ago it was very dry and we had a huge explosion in the mouse population around our home. He caught on quickly, and, better than a cat mouser, actually learned to mouse on command. "Get the mouse!" said in an urgent voice would send him to the woodpile, or in to the field on a mission that wouldn't stop until he was successful (the wonderful obsessiveness of a border collie).

A few nights ago our garage door was not closed fully early one morning. Outdoor kitty made it in the house and was shooed out quickly. Apparently we had another guest as well!

For the last few days we've had gremlins. Cupboard doors mysteriously open, with things falling out. The dog searching behind our antique radio, where the cats don't fit. Yup, you got it.

Last night I stayed up until 11 (late for me) and as I headed upstairs, locking up, it finally occured to me that there had been a LOT of animal noise ... cats "playing" .... dog chasing ... I stood and watched what I presumed would be the dog chasing the cats ... and discovered instead all three chasing some unseen common target. Yup. A mouse in the house.

This would explain the open cupboard doors, the food falling out as the cats tried to squirm in to find the mouse. It explains the obsession our dog has had with our antique radio.

However, rather than being the crisis this may have been in the past (I have less than fond memories of our home in NJ; mouse traps, mouse "alarms" etc) ... instead, I called Dickens to heel and said, "Dickens, there's a MOUSE in our HOUSE! Get the mouse". I pulled the sofa aside, and he had it in about 8 seconds. I then called him, and told him to take it outside and drop it. And he did! Because he's a wonderful and very useful dog :-). No traps, no poison, no hysteria ... just calm and hyper-focussed border collie obsession. I tell you, I practically threw a party for him when he came back in the house; he knows he did a very good thing.

Here is he is in his "kick back and have a beer" pose. But you still see the glint in his eye ... "Anything else you want me to do? Huh? Huh? Can I find another one?"

Good dog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny, I want a Dickens! Cuddles keeps eating them and leaving behind the less than choice parts...bleck :P

kkaci said...

That's nasty ... IF Dickens eats them (he sometimes does when he's outside) he leaves absolutely nothing :-). Which I suppose is nasty, but hey ;-).

Lona said...

Our B.C. is a good mouser, too, though she's not caught any in the house yet. We call her technique the chomp and drop, next!

Love that photo! Border collies are the greatest...