Monday 29 June 2009

Claire’s lace socks done … finally!

This is the first summer I’ve actually continued knitting in the summer.  Generally, once lambs are born, then there are gardens … and I don’t pick up needles again until October or November.  Something about wool and heat … and our house become a terrarium in the hot weather!  Perhaps because we had a real spring this year, and it did not heat up too quickly; perhaps because I’ve created a handknit sock addiction in my family and there are not enough fall and winter hours to complete what needs to be done … whatever the reason, I continue (so far) to knit this year.

Yesterday I finished these (should have finished them a week ago but I tried to cast off on a car trip without instructions and messed up sock two … I use a purling cast off used in Russia that I can never remember properly).

They are knit with Tofutsie sock yarn (soy silk, chitin, wool, nylon blend) on size US 1 (2.25 mm) circular needles. They are knit using my normal sock pattern (figure 8 cast on, toe up, short row heel) with a slight modification along the foot to allow for the lace pattern (I borrowed a stitch from the heel needle during the pattern portions of the sock).  The lace pattern would have shown up more strikingly with a plain coloured yarn, however this is what I had in my stash at the time :-).

 

Claire's new handknit June 28 2009 2 Claire's new handknit June 28 2009 1

The lace rib stitch pattern is as follows:

(Multiple of 10 stitches)

Round 1:  k9, p

Round 2:  k2, k2tog, yo, k, yo, ssk, k2, p

Round 3:  k9, p

Round 4:  k, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, ssk, k, p

Round 5:  k9, p

Round 6:  k, yo, ssk, yo, (slip knitwise, slip knitwise, k, p2sso), yo, k2tog, yo, k, p

Round 7:  k9, p

Round 9:  k3, yo, (slip knitwise, slip knitwise, k, p2sso), yo, k3, p

1 comment:

Lona said...

Very nice! I wear a size 8-9 (US, of course) and I can send you my address when you get mine done. :-)