Monday 10 September 2007

The County Fall Fair, 2007 in Review (Shameless bragging inside)

The Fair is over. I am incredibly proud of the kids. They did well.

(Insert once again bragging apologies; but grandparents need to know these things :) ! I will add photographs later in the week, but Kev has the camera for the next couple of days.

All the kids entered one or two things in the youth exhibit area. Iain entered for the first time this year in the Fair Advertising category, and his poster won! He worked very hard on it.

Claire wrote her traditional, illustrated poem .. she just loves poetry. It was very cute. She placed second (her emphasis was on poem, not illustration, and the judges were definitely looking at illustration this year since the winning poem was a little acrostic).

Alison entered a Monet-type painting she had done as part of school last year, and a purse she felted. The painting took prize, and the felted purse won the knit category. Not only that, but the purse won a special (and an extra $5), and was the article from this year;s fair to be chosen to get sent as a demonstration to convention in Toronto in February. Alison was slightly miffed since she knit the purse to use this fall, and now she has to keep it in good shape until February :).

The 4H Goat Club Achievement Day was held at the Fairgrounds Sunday morning. In the Pouring Rain. Thank goodness for the two-year old covered pavilion or it would have been a soggy nightmare! The order of events was meat goat classes, then showmanship, then costume classes. For some unknown reason, they decided to put the costume class first. (I believe the judge may have been slightly late to arrive). However, Alison dressed she and her goat up as clowns, COMPLETE with face makeup, before I could warn her that she may not be able to remove it before the rest of the show. Oops. Luckily, the judge was understanding and ignored the garish remaining streaks across her face. Claire's outfit was very creative ... she dressed up as a chef, complete with big container of curry, a meat fork, a knife, a chef's hat and apron ... it was very effective since her pygmy goat was being ornery and wouldn't enter the ring. Dusty planted her feet and bleated and yelled, looking very much like a reluctant main course!

In the pygmy conformation class, Alison's goat won. This class was no biggie for the kids because they used borrowed goats. But in the Junior Showmanship class, Alison took first place and Claire took second, which was AMAZING and I was thrilled for both of them. Although they didn't work extensively with the goats this year, the experience they've gained with our sheep has paid off. The top two from the Junior and Senior classes squared off, and Alison finally won her Grand Championship Showmanship Ribbon (red, white and blue ... she's made it to reserve twice and taken home the purple ribbon). So she was pretty happy. It was very close, and only a subtle mistake made by the winning Senior tipped the balance in her favour.

The girls spent about 3 hours selling milkshakes in the 4H Milkshake booth, and I once again went through my annual ritual of lamenting that I didn't submit anything for judging. Every year I say I will ... well, maybe next year ...

The best part of the Fair for me, though, is the people. Our whole family went on Saturday to do rides etc., and at one point I waved back at yet another acquaintance and Kevin turned to me and said, "I can't believe how many people you know!!" (Chip off the old block, Mom???) Keep in mind that Kev spent part of his growing up years here.

The rides are mostly for smaller kids, and the midway would probably be laughed at by teens from out of town. But what I love about a small town fair is the transition the kids make. Yes, the rides are fun when they are small (and there are still a few that my girls enjoy). But it becomes less about entertainment as they get older, and more about being a part of something bigger and volunteerism and networking with all ages and serving their community. Small towns build leadership and community involvement in our kids. I saw the results of this in my rural friends when I attended University of Guelph, and now I see it again as it plays out in my children.

Long live the rural fair!

(Will be adding photographs later in the week)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Karen:

Am enjoying your blog immensely - your lives are so rich and full and your writing gift and pictures capture it so well!

kkaci said...

Why thank you, Tanya ... I'm sorry it took so long to notice your comment! I was just scrolling through today looking for something ... and here you are!

This is about the only way I find time to write ... I admire my friends (THREE of you reading here) that are working on actual manuscripts. All I can say is "Wow!". But it's still fun ... how is your writing going?

Karen