Wednesday 9 September 2009

Lost a ram lamb today :-(

just a few weeks before he would have been shipped. Sigh. Stupid Shetland horns. I knew this would likely happen one day... electranet fencing and horns are an explosive combination. Sadly, he got caught up sometime during the night.

I'm grateful he died on a Tuesday night, because I had to place an emergency call to "Uncle Ted" and take our other ram lamb in this morning, before he jumped in with the ladies and gave me February lambs. Wednesday mornings are the only mornings animals are taken in at Aman's, so the timing couldn't have been better. I'm grateful for my good farmer friend Arnold, who will use his backhoe to bury the lamb in the back of his property (I have bedrock down about 10" at best, so there's no way for me to dispose of an almost full grown lamb here, whereas Arnold has six or more feet of good topsoil in some areas.)

HOWEVER I just took in my potential flock sire for this fall, so I now need to come up with a plan B. I do know it will NOT be a Shetland. I really wasn't thinking .... last year I traded off my Shetland ram to Bill Stearman before his horns were big enough to cause a problem. I left it too late this year.

Sigh.

No comments: