Saturday 13 January 2007

"It's Not Fair!"

This was an entry from my old blog dated Aug. 1, 2006

"It's Not Fair!"

On Saturday good friends lost a 6 year old Golden Retriever to a twisted bowel, then on Sunday they had to put their chronically ill 17 year old Golden down. What a tragedy for them. My friend said one son spent time screaming that "It's not fair! It's not fair!" You know what? He's right. No family should lose two beloved dogs in less than 24 hours. It is not fair ... although it is life.

I just finished re-reading Anne Frank "The Diary of Young Girl" yesterday. Every fibre in my being screamed the same thing as I read that book. "It's not fair! It's not fair!" I have a harder time justifying the atrocities described within these pages as being life, however. They are the result of nothing more than sin.

My children, when bumping up against boundaries they are less than pleased with, will occasionally pull the "It's not fair!" punch. This one doesn't bother me quite so much. I can be strong here, and guide them into a deeper understanding of why boundaries are important.

But I need God's help and guidance and wisdom more than ever as my children bump into life situations like the first two. It's hard to remain calm, and give guidance, when the sound of my own "It's not fair!" is ringing more loudly than their own.

copyright 2006 Karen Stenhouse

No comments: