Thursday 11 January 2007

First Knitting Projects

K. inspired this latest hobby by requesting a pair of handknit socks for Christmas. I haven't done a lot of knitting (truthfully I've never actually finished a knitting project!!) although I have a tidy little stack of knit afghan squares that hopefully will become an afghan sometime before I'm 75!

A good friend/knitting enabler lent me her Addi Turbo circular needle, and I methodically looked online for the best way to knit socks. I discovered figure 8 cast-ons (www.knitty.com) and knitting two socks toe up on a circular needle (www.webdesignsbybarb.com). Thanks to A.M. I am now a needle snob and must find my own 100 cm Addi Turbos! They were knit up using Paton's Kroy.

Knit socks are a wonderfully portable project, especially when using a circular needle. They are great for waiting rooms, and as conversation starters! And they are very, very toasty warm, or so my husband says. Over Christmas he was on mornings live at UCB 102.3 with Dana Rogalski, and conversation about my socks made it out over the airwaves!

The first photo is of my second pair, which I am making for myself! Below is a pic of the pair I made for Kevin for Christmas.



No comments: