Thursday 11 January 2007

Why Forty Foot Road?

Our house is not, in fact, on Forty Foot Road. At least, not since the institution of 911 numbers in our County. The powers that be decided a civic address of 641 Forty Foot Road would be confusing, and renamed our road accordingly.

I love the old road name, and have decided to honour it here. Initially, I assumed the road had been named this because it was very short. An old-timer down the road set me straight not too long ago. It seems that when the road was first named in the fifties, there were 20 people (having, of course, 40 feet) living here :).

I don't know whether my neighbour was pulling my leg or not, however this is typical of how roads are named in this county so it could well be. Either way ...

Greetings from Forty Foot Road!

No comments: