Sunday 20 April 2008

Ugh. We could have lost a lamb today :-(.

Little Peppercorn got her head stuck between two slats of the run-in shed. I have no idea how long she was there, in the heat, with no ability to nurse. She was scary still when we found her, but seems to be up and happy now, and has nursed six times and pigged out on creep feed since. I imagine that she is fine. However, I'd appreciate prayer, from those of you who do that sort of thing, that she hasn't been harmed in any way by the experience.

Tarragon has definite horns starting; I'm going to try and get a close-up and add it here later ... it's very cool to see the horns first emerging from the leather patches.

A stunningly beautiful weekend here ... gorgeous sun, beautiful temperatures, light breezes. The best the County has to offer. Coupled with the fact that our previous pastor's house has finally sold (hurray, Steve and Janna!), an awesome church service, and the fact that Kev and I were able to squeeze in a date in town Saturday morning while kids were at their various venues ... it's been awesome. The only bad thing? On the way over to pick up Alison from work on Saturday afternoon, I noticed some smoke coming from the vicinity of Foster Road. Foster Road is one of those roads that is long, with one house, and no hydro, that is home to deer, turkeys, grouse etc. I thought perhaps the one homeowner was burning brush. I drove up behind a guy walking along the road ... and came upon a car COMPLETELY in flames. The flames were shooting 20 and 30 feet in the air; it looked like a massive torch. The poor guy. He had stopped when he noticed some smoke, turned off the engine and went back to the other road to call a tow truck. He was just coming back to check on it ... oops! I gave him a ride back to call the Fire Department! An hour later, the Fire Department was long gone, and all that was left was a little grey shell of metal. I have learned that I would make a lousy journalist, for I sat watching with this poor guy as his brother's car goes up in a torrent of flames, and it never occurred to me once to grab the camera out of my backpack and take photographs. It could have been front page news around here :-). Ah, well!

2 comments:

Lona said...

Ah, yes. The old saying, "Sheep just wanna die," comes to mind right now...

Glad you found her.

kkaci said...

:-) ... I've never heard that saying (obviously new to sheep!). Last year's babies were into self-preservation in a big way, but this one set of twins will be the death of ME if not themselves. Last night I went out and cleared out the remains of a previous owner's failed attempt at a straw bale chicken house; 60 feet of chicken wire in concrete. Last year I just covered it over partially with a piece of plywood, but I KNOW that these two little brats will find it, get wrapped in it, and get stuck or injured. I'm moving the sheep into this new pasture today since we're expecting a bit or rain ... I hope.