Wednesday 2 April 2008

First lamb of the year! I was DEAD wrong in my prediction ...

I thought Kivu would lamb last, sometime around April 11. Here she is, proudly showing off her new little ram lamb, born some time this morning (while I was judging the intermediate Science Fair submissions at Sonrise Christian Academy). I believe he is a black gulmoget (think doberman-coloured) ... but he could just be plain black like his daddy Spencer. He doesn't seem nearly as small as I thought a purebred Shetland lamb would be ... mind you, he is a single.


And here are the two ladies-in-waiting, who are presently attempting to climb out of their pen and into the hut where I've given new mom and babe some privacy. Jasmine is on the left (she was the one supposed to lamb in the next couple of days) and Latifah on the right (I think she has a ways to go, but hey ... obviously I'm clueless :-) ...).


At least tonight, I will have a functional flashlight after my visit to town this morning. Alison and I went out for night check at 9:30 last night with no light. We assessed movement by moonlight! Can't believe I forgot to get that ready in advance in my lambing kit.

One down, two more to go!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a cutie. How exciting for you :-)

Lona said...

Woo-hoo! Black is one of my favorite colors. He's a beauty.

kkaci said...

Thanks, ladies :-)!

He's pretty cute; I do wish he'd been a ewe lamb, but they're not made to order.