Monday 23 March 2009

First lambs of 2009, courtesy of Jasmine ...!

who once again graced us with 8 pound lambs, one boy and one girl. The only difference? This year the little ram lamb has the eye patch, which is definitely too bad. I'm laughingly calling these lambies my Quarter Sheep (think Quarter Horses) because of their breeding. They are 25% Shetland, 25% Bluefaced Leceister, 25% Texel and 25% Rideau Arcott. All quarters.

The little boy, who has a few spots ...

The pair:



Encouraging little girl to get the first colostrum ... yummy!


Little girl (so far nameless, but this might be Rory), wearing her fashionable cowl neck sweater (ha ha):


Alison's vacation was slightly extended since I was at the ER for a UTI ... Kev came home ... no lambs ... 20 minutes later there were two. Jasmine is a real trooper. Kev headed off to get Alison from school to come home and take care of them since it's bitterly cold and very windy today (although the sun is shining). I ended up in and out of the hospital quite quickly, and we all arrived at the same time. They were very cold, and hadn't nursed well yet, so I'm glad we were not much longer.

One down, three to go :-).

8 comments:

Ann-Marie MacKay said...

soooooo cute!
i want one at my house....

kkaci said...

Hmmm, well, we could arrange that ;-) ... mwaaa haaa haaaa.

VictoriaD said...

aaaw they are adorable. Why is it bad that the boy has an eye patch? Just showing my ignorance here, no laughing at the 'city girl'!

kkaci said...

It's just that the eyepatch ones are SO adorable, and you remember what the ultimate end purpose of all our boys are ... cuteness doesn't really matter to much when they head to Uncle Ted.

cafepress.com/hitsandhobbies said...

Did you knit the lamby's cowl? Very cute. Can't wait to see what names you end up with...
BTW, if you were a Battlestar Galactica fan, there would be an obvious choice for your male eye-patched lamb, but I wouldn't want to dish out any spoilers, just in case . . .
:-)

kkaci said...

Janna, I sewed the little sweaters from an old wool blanket that we had from my folks. So they ARE wool, but I didn't have to knit them :-).

No fear that I will become a BSG fan .. what would the name choice be? We're still debating, and also wavering over Gilmore Girls vs. LOST! lol.

cafepress.com/hitsandhobbies said...

I was going to say, you can't go wrong with names from either GGs or LOST except, I suppose with LOST you COULD go wrong (ie: Will we ever know, until the very end if Ben, Charles, etc. are good OR bad characters ... they keep us on our toes guessing!!!)

As for BSG, I changed my profile so you could see the character. He's known by a few different titles: Col. Tigh / Saul Tigh [or just Saul] / the XO [executive officer]

I'll keep returning for more pics and the final name decisions! :-)

cafepress.com/hitsandhobbies said...

Oooh ... there's also Mikhail (for your eye patch choice) if you do go with a LOST theme. AND, you won't have to feel bad losing this lamb later . . . after what he did to Charlie. :-(