Friday 6 March 2009

Knitting update!

The pair of socks I had been working on for Alison a year ago had gone missing. I had looked all over the house, EVERYWHERE ... except for in a large back of wool donated by Rosehaven Farm Store to the 4H Sheep Club, which I have been storing at our house. Luckily I had to pull that out to take yarn to a club meeting a few weeks ago. The plastic bag was buried right in the middle of 20 or so skeins of yarn! This wool was custom dyed by my friend Ann-Marie for Alison, and is a superwash Merino. They were knit using a broken rib stitch on U.S. size one circular needles.



I now have two pairs of socks on needles ... I'm almost done a pair for me, same pattern as above, that I call my LOST socks. They are in a colourway that reminds of my favourite TV series LOST, and the pattern is simple enough that I can knit while watching :-). The other set are Claire's next pair and my first foray into lace knitting.

I'm regretting now that I was on a knitting fast all fall, since I generally don't knit much once lambs are born and outside chores start up. Perhaps things will be different this year :-). What I would REALLY like is one of those old-fashioned hand crank sock knitting machines (so I can be like you Lona!!!) ... there is a huge market for these socks in this area and I would love to make hand cranked socks to fill the demand. It would be a great secondary income stream for our family, especially since my web work has fizzled for the moment (to be resurrected when UCB has money again). I've looked on Freecyle (haha) and I've looked on eBay (GASP at the prices). Lona, if you ever get gifted any more mechanical sock knitters, feel free to pass them on up north!!! (LOL).

4 comments:

cafepress.com/hitsandhobbies said...

Those socks fit so perfectly. Impressive, Karen!

kkaci said...

They're really not that hard, Janna. I KNOW you could knit some. They are especially warm under skates!

Lona said...

Now, Karen, if you would just move in that for-sale house down the street from us, we'd let you BORROW the sock machine. What'd'ya think?

kkaci said...

Hmmmm, tell me about the house ... I LOVE many parts of Michigan. However, we won't be able to live in the US again after leaving the last time (long story; email for details), so I think you'll have lend the machines to your new neighbours instead.