Monday 28 January 2008

Second hospitalization socks ...

I'm particularly proud of these socks. I knit the first one this past April, and then, because of my EVIL cats, ended up being unable to complete the second one. Here is the post describing their heinous acts. They actually BIT the yarn off eventually, causing me to give up the whole concept of "pair".

Then, during my decluttering bee of early January, I found the replacement ball I had purchased "some time" in the summer ... and ... heh, heh ... forgot about. Because, of course, it was summer, and who wants to knit wool socks in the summer? (Okay, if I had the time, I would, but we're too busy with the wool-MAKERS at that time of year!)

This became my project during Kev's Picton hospital stay. I knit this baby in record time, and if you are a knitter, you might notice that all the stripes line up perfectly, and my tension was pretty decent given the months in between, and the fact that I didn't even knit it on the same needles. (Same size needles, but I used my new KnitPicks Options Size 3 circular needle rather than the Addi Turbos).



One sock (the one the cats played with, rolled around in and stretched around chair legs) is slightly softer and larger at the moment, but this should even out eventually!)

Next thing on the needles? Beautiful purples/blues custom dyed for Alison by my friend Ann-Marie ... (plug for AM; here is her Etsy shop where she sells hand-dyed and handspun yarns online). Isn't it lovely??



I'm looking forward to experimenting with some different patterns for the instep and leg with these socks, rather than plain old ribbing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Karen

SO glad that Kev is on the mend and hope things start to settle down abit for all of you.

I LOVE the yarn....I am currently on a knitting jag myself.

My mom, Em & I all read your blog.

Elaine

kkaci said...

Elaine, somehow I didn't see your comment earlier! I'm sorry about that.

Yes things are starting to settle ... we will be appreciating "settled" for awhile.

Thanks for your comment!

Karen